Water is a very precious resource. A lot of regions are turning draught stricken today. Future generations might find water crisis intensifying to unmanageable levels. Water is a very precious resource that is crucially important for our life. Educating the younger generation about the ways to conserve water is more important today than at any time in the past. Any water conservation plans at the school will turn successful only if you can involve the school children and convince them about the importance of saving water. Here are a few useful tips to conserve water at the school.
Tips to save water at school
- Organize some meetings or use gatherings as an opportunity to discuss the importance of water and conserving water.
- The school management can evolve some guidelines, policies, and rules regarding best practices to save water and announce it to the students. These guidelines can be printed and displayed at conspicuous locations to remind the students time and again. While compliance can be encouraged and praised, those who do not adhere to the rules can be counseled and educated.
- Place signs near the washbasins asking students to turn off the taps immediately after washing their hands.
- The school management can think of water-efficient fixtures and aerators for the water taps in order to create a favorable environment to save water.
- Educate the students to report any leaks to the school office and take steps to rectify them immediately so that the students will feel that the management is serious about saving water.
- Tell the students not to flush the toilets unnecessarily. Let them use the dust bins rather than the toilet to dispose of the wasted like tissues.
- For landscaping, use the plant varieties that can tolerate drought. Mulch and native varieties of plants can grow well with minimal watering.
- Organize some competitions like elocution, poster making, and role-plays among the students centered on the topic of water conservation. This will have a great impact on young minds. Display the creations of students like water-saving posters on the pinup boards.
- Use brooms to clean the walkways, driveways, and entrances rather than using a hose to clean them as the alter method will lead to a lot of water wastage.
- Go for some water-conserving fixtures and accessories like aerators for the faucets, and dual flush toilet for high water efficiency.
- While conducting some programs, events, and training at the school, implement water-saving practices that will also provide some education to the students.
- Learn about the latest developments and requirements for water conservation and implement them innovatively to the best of your abilities at the school.
- Ask the students to get refillable water bottles to the school to collect drinking water whenever they need it. At the end of the day, they can empty the remaining water onto the plants.
A school is a miniature society. For the success of any policy, the participation of every member is essential. Implementing water-saving practices at the school is teamwork that has to happen efficiently by educating and encouraging the students and the school community.